Sunday, January 26, 2014

Gay Print Media Is Not Dead

Tonight I got called out.  I went to an old gay establishment in my old neighborhood of Dupont Circle. (Washington, DC, folks.)  I lived off the 17th Street strip which is apparently the "gay area" now.  It used to be all of Dupont Circle.  Not just 17th Street.  (Thank you, Straight People.  Really.  Not.)  I never particularly liked Annie's, because I thought it was a dump.  But, once it was remodeled during the HGTV phase of the world --- it became cute.  It really is adorable.  On the way out of the door, I came across some of my old school (or is it "old skoolz"?) publications.  Newspapers.  Remember those?  I truly don't believe that print media is dead.  As a good friend of mine says to her technology advanced son, "The paperless system is a myth."  I believe it, too.  She's right.  Paper ain't going nowhere anytime soon.  (Yes, I'm a fogey.)  I gathered up these publications in my arms.  Because ... truthfully, this is what we used to do.  The kids would go out to party, but were educated on their way out.  So, I waltzed out of Annie's.  And, two feet out of the door some random queen on a cellphone on the street called me out for doing so.  We all laughed about it, because it was actually funny.  But, that's how we older gays got our community conscious news back in the day!!!  The Washington Blade and Metro Weekly!!!  (This DC MidCity is new to me.  But, looks cute.)  Oh, how I miss those days.  Everything is so digital now.  Yes, I sound old.  (Yes, I download my comics, BUT --- I buy the paper graphic novels when they eventually come out.)  Anyway, those were the good old days that these "new, young gays" know nothing about.  But, you know what?  I love print media and I still love books.  I support the Kindle and other electronic media because technology should constantly advance.  But, I still love the feel of a book.  I still love marking a book with a paperclip or folding the corner of a page or using an actual BOOKMARK.  And, let's face it --- every now and then I need to see how far I've gotten into a book.  Or how far I have to go.  Or what paper smells like.  (Yes, people, I will sniff a book.  It's a smell I've always loved.)  And, even though I haven't read those gay publications yet --- I'm glad I have them.  Oh, the memories.  I miss those days of clubbing and then coming out half cocktailed and sweaty from dancing, then finding out what had been going on in the world and what we needed to change for the better.  For everyone.

No comments: