Sunday, October 2, 2011

Historic Black Moment

Something amazing and historic happened and I wonder if anybody even noticed it. Two of the major comic book companies, DC and Marvel released five books, each featuring BLACK PEOPLE. Five black men!!!! Well, four black men and one black boy. Yes, dammit. I still get excited when I see black people on tv, movie, books and especially comics. And, I'm even more excited to see Mr. Terrific, Static, Batwing, Firestorm and the Ultimate Spiderman prominently featuring African American, BLACK leads!!!! Totally unrelated, but all in the same month I got to see the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial.


Was Donald onto something?!?

4 comments:

Daddy Squeeze Me! said...

I think this is amazing,but all the racial horror that came out of the black spider man issue was just horrible. As they say...the more things change...the more they stay the same.

Victor Hodge said...

Unfortunately, people will never change --- even with a black President. I completely missed all the drama on that. I will simply say, especially after reading the first two issues of Ultimate Spiderman, When Good Characters Go BLACK!

Belasco said...

I loved the first issue of Ultimate Spiderman. What's galling is that in this day in age, anyone would take offense at something like this. It's not like the black kid is even THE spiderman. Peter Parker is still alive in the 'other' Marvel Universe, but the racism that arises whenever a character gets recast (and let's face it, it's usually only temporary anyway) is really sad.

Victor Hodge said...

Wow. I really did miss all of this. (Extreme DC Fan boy here.) And, I kind of thought the same thing. The "ultimate" is not the "real" version, right?!? I'M looking forward to reading more, actually. The art work is STUNNING!!!! It really captures the words.