Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Mrs. Michelle Obama

It's no secret that I'm a Federal Government employee. Yeah, I'm a Fed. (There was a moment of hissing at a reading in New York last year for Juicy Mother 2 when it was announced.) But, it's my day gig. I gotta eat. And, I like spending money. So, I work at the Department of the Interior with Indian Affairs. Yesterday, my co-workers and I were honored with a visit from Mrs. Michelle Obama. Yes, the First Lady of the United States. Wife of Barack, our first black President. Mother of those two beautiful little girls, Malia and Sasha. The event was closed to the public. And, contractors. And, friends. And, family. So, I figured I'd better take advantage of this opportunity. And to believe that I actually toyed with the possibility of not going because I didn't want to wait two mere hours in the hallway (with my loud-ass, excited co-workers) to see her. But, since I didn't make it to the Mall on Inauguration Day, I figured this would be the only chance and the closest I would ever get to seeing The President or his wife, the First Lady. Unless there was a motorcade. And, let's face it, you can't see anything, they won't let you cross the street and you just end up coming back late from lunch. But, in spite of the noise, the wait was worth every minute. I never felt more honored to have been part of the audience. Mrs. Obama, beautiful and elegant as ever, wonderful and extremely humble, was an honor and a sight to behold. Our office even presented her with a ceremonial tribal blanket and performed several songs in her honor.
I have actually never felt more proud to be a part of Indian Affairs. I tend to hate my job periodically like everybody else. I believe that government building is on top of a Hellmouth. (For those of you who don't know what a "Hellmouth" is --- check out Buffy The Vampire Slayer. There was one under Sunnydale, --- which drew evil --- which Buffy fought. Rumor is there's one in Cleveland. There might be one under your place of employment. You never know. Get your crucifix.) Anyway, I am so happy that I was able to be among the mere 600-some people allowed in the main auditorium which televised this historic event throughout the country. Our country's First Lady thanked us for our service and honored a number of long time employees. Michelle Obama, I love you! You made me remember that we still have work to do and that the work we do in Indian Country is important. I'm proud to be a part of the team.

More Pictures of Mrs. Obama!!!

1 comment:

Ian said...

That's awesome you got to see Mrs. Obama! I sooooo love the Obama family and what they represent for our country. I remember how I felt when I got to meet Scy of State Clinton, back when she was First Lady, and how awe inspiring it was!

And we forgive you for being a Fed. Ain't no shame in your game brother! My Grandmama, when she was alive, worked at the Dept of Agriculture...so I hear ya! Like you said V, ya gotta eat. LOL.