Friday, May 9, 2008

The Donnas

I first discovered The Donnas on some late night show singing, “I Don’t Wanna Know (If You Want Me).” They seemed like a punk/rock garage band made big time. It was something about these four women rocking-on (seriously) that made me fall instantly in love with them. White girl bands are hot anyway! I figured out who they were: Brett Anderson (Donna A) is the singer of the band, Allison Robertson (Donna R) is the guitarist, Maya Ford (Donna F) is the bass player, and Torry Castellano (Donna C) plays drums. I dashed out and bought their “new” album, “Gold Medal.” I ran it into the ground! Favorites include: “Fall Behind Me,” “Revolver” (I really wanted to destroy somebody at this point in life) and “Friends Like Mine.” I found their official website: www.thedonnas.com. I found the video. I even made my mother watch it. (I know she thought I was crazy.)

I wanted more. Then, I found “The Donnas: Spend the Night.” Favorites include: “Who Invited You?” (which I find myself often asking), “Too Bad About Your Girlfriend,” “Pass It Around,” “It’s On the Rocks” and “Take It Off” (featured in the movie “Dodge Ball,” from "Charmed" and a panel of Paige Braddock’s "Jane’s World.")

Then, one of my absolute favorite albums: “The Donnas: Turn 21.” Favorites include: Midnight Snack,” (Okay – it is my favorite!) “Hot Pants,” “Gimme A Ride,” “You’ve Got A Crush On Me,” and “Nothing To Do” ("... I'm sniffing everything under the sink --- and all I really wanted was another drink ... ") That’s when I found out they had been rocking together since middle school. Middle school!!! By this album, since they’d all been born in 1979, they were all legal! Legal to party!!! These chicks were some hard rocking, beer drinking, partying, backseat making out divas. I couldn’t get enough!!! Ran that into the ground, too.

They also popped up on the Nancy Drew soundtrack with a cover of “Kids In America.” In love more!!!

Late last year some time, I saw that they had a new album coming out: “Bitchin.’” And, apparently they were --- without the “bitch,” one article proclaimed. I finally bought the album a couple weeks ago and I have been running it into the ground … as well. “When The Show Is Over,” I think, the closest thing to a ballad I’ve ever heard them do, has bowled me over. No surprise here, I’m running this one into the ground. “Bitchin’” is short, but hot. “Better Off Dancin’” (which I’m sure a lot of would be), “Like An Animal” and “Girl Talk” have rocked me. I could go on and on and on about The Donnas, but I’m going to end here and start drawing. Really.

No comments: